Saturday, June 8, 2013

Cheerio Treats


When my son was little, he loved Cheerios. He loved them so much my sister called him Christian-oat-e-os. When he was still a toddler, we were invited to a family potluck. While looking for a dessert to take, I came upon this recipe--was it on the Cheerios box? Or the Marshmallows package? It's too long ago to remember. But I took these treats to the potluck and they were a smash hit!

Through the years we have made Cheerio Treats: for school parties, potlucks, picnics, and just for fun. They always disappear quickly. So, a few weeks ago, it was fitting when my son told me about a group of seniors getting together for a graduation picnic: He asked if I would make Cheerio Treats. How could I refuse?

Here is the very simple recipe, which I not only know by heart, but have in my heart:

Cheerio Treats
Makes about 18 treats

3 tablespoons butter
1 (10 ounce) bag marshmallows
1/2 cup peanut butter
5 1/2 cups Cheerios
1 cup M & Ms

Line an 8x8 or 9x9 pan with aluminum foil. Spray foil with cooking spray.

In a large pan, melt butter and stir in marshmallows. When marshmallows are nearly melted, stir in peanut butter. Remove from heat and stir in Cheerios. When Cheerios are integrated, stir in M & Ms and quickly turn into prepared pan. Press into pan with a spatula or with fingers which have been sprayed with a little cooking spray.

Wait until cooled, or as long as you can. Remove from pan, using the aluminum foil's edges. Carefully peel away the foil and, with a very sharp knife, cut into nine pieces. I like to slice each piece diagonally.




No comments:

Post a Comment